The Aberdeen Hotel Alliance is funded by the collection of a city occupancy tax and is administered by the Aberdeen Area Convention & Visitors Bureau Executive Director in conjunction with the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance Board of Directors.
The mission of the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance is to increase the economic and cultural growth benefiting the Aberdeen area and its hotels by the enhancement, expansion, marketing and promotion of visitor events, attractions and activities with an emphasis on the overnight guest.
Goals & Objectives
The primary objective of the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance is to foster and encourage certain events and organizations that promote tourism activities which utilize public accommodations within the Aberdeen area and its hotels.
Events should have strong appeal to a large part of our community and potential visitors. The resulting economic and non-economic benefits of this program are intended to promote the general welfare of the city residents and those visiting the area.
Types of Events and Sponsorships Considered
- Events may be cultural, ethnic, historic, educational or recreational or a combination thereof.
- Events can be new to Aberdeen (3 or fewer years in existence), or existing events in Aberdeen that are expanding the duration or the appeal of the event.
- Priority funding and sponsorship may be given to events held during the “off-peak” or shoulder seasons, bringing visitors to Aberdeen during times they normally do not visit. “Off-peak” are the months of December – February. Shoulder seasons are defined as March, April and early November.
- Priority funding and sponsorship may also be given to non-profit organizations hosting events in the Aberdeen area.
- The Aberdeen Hotel Alliance Board may without cause or reason being stated, decline to fund any application and may instead, fund others. Event funding will be considered on a case by case basis. Organizational event(s) sponsorship will be considered on a yearly basis.
- Funding or sponsorship for a prior year does not guarantee funding in future years.
- Event funding and organizational sponsorship support will be based on the potential economic impact of event and overnight hotel room usage.
- Additional fundraising efforts by the requesting organization may have an impact on funding request considerations.
- The Board may discontinue or modify all or any portion of this funding policy at any time.
Special event(s) funding and organizational sponsorship will be considered January 1st through December 31st. Event funding and organizational sponsorships through the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance Special Events Fund will be granted to events and organizations that:
- Encourages overnight stays in the community by out-of-town visitors.
- Establishes a long-term investment in the community.
- Host events within the Aberdeen area.
- Unique to or can be identified with the Aberdeen area.
- Provide a good “rate of return” to the community comparing the amount of money requested with the total out-of-town revenue.
- Promote tourism in Aberdeen.
- Aberdeen Hotel Alliance Funding Application form must be completed by a member of the organization requesting funds.
- Applicant should return the completed application to the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance at least three (3) months prior to the event.
- Applicant may be required to attend the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance Board meeting for a presentation and answer questions.
- Applicant will be required to provide copies of all advertising and promotional materials including a list, radio, television, banners, or other forms of promotion.
- Event funding from the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance MUST be used on the event applied for and as specified in the application. Organizational event sponsorship would be the exception to this rule.
- Event support and organizational sponsorship will NOT be considered without an itemized budget or proposal from the requesting entity to show the financial need.
- Changes in dates, times, and/or nature of the funded special event may result in forfeiture of all funding.
- If the funded event is not held within the dates given, the award shall be forfeited and returned to the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance, unless the AHA has been notified of a date change.
- Additional fundraising efforts by the requesting organization will have an impact on funding request considerations. Additional fundraising efforts are encouraged.
- The Board reserves the right to limit funding to no more than 50% of cash contributions raised by the requesting organization.
- The Aberdeen Hotel Alliance and the Aberdeen Area Convention & Visitors Bureau must be included in all print, digital and on-air media promotions at the same level as any other sponsor.
- A photo of the funding request must be completed before funding is disbursed.
- Applicant must complete the Event Evaluation Form Recap and return it to the Aberdeen Area Convention & Visitors Bureau within 15 days of the close of the event. The AHA reserves the right to withhold up to 50% of the total funding awarded until the applicant completes this form. Failure to provide this information will result in the loss of retained funding and may eliminate the event from future funding by AHA.
- The Aberdeen Hotel Alliance board reserves the right to withhold up to 1% of funding to be used by the Aberdeen Area CVB for social media marketing of the event, depending on the marketing needs of the event.
Funds cannot be used to support organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, gender, or gender identity, age, veteran status, physical challenge or national origin.
In addition, contributions are generally not provided for:
- Religious organizations-non convention related
- Political parties or candidates
- Capital campaigns
- Endowment Funds
- Conferences, workshops or seminars not directly related to the mission of the Aberdeen Hotel Alliance
- Payouts, Prizes, Purses or Scholarships
If you feel your event or attraction meets the guidelines above, please complete our initial funding application.
The Aberdeen Area Convention and Visitors Bureau will make the determination on event funding or organizational sponsorship after we receive the Organization Event Sponsorship Funding Application.