This is not a lost summer. With a little bit of elbow grease, this could be the best summer ever.
Plan a staycation right here in Aberdeen. Just follow our step-by-step guide.
Step one: Treat it like a vacation
Many of us have vacation days that go unused, so use them. If your budget allows, book a camp site or hotel room to really get in the vacation mind set. A lot of accommodations have lower rates and greater availability mid-week. Best part is, little or no travel time means maximum fun.
Step two: Plan activities
If you have friends or family come into town, what do you suggest they do? Is there a restaurant you haven’t tried or an attraction you haven’t visited? Now’s the time to go do that!
- Aberdeen has more than 30 miles of recreational trails throughout the city. Figure out which trail is your favorite.
- Don’t just ride the rides at Storybook Land, rate them.
- Create a bracket for family go-cart championships at Thunder Road.
- Earn your sea legs in a paddle boat on Lake Minne-eho.
- Go swimming at a beach – Wylie Park, Richmond Lake and Mina Lake state recreation areas all have swimming beaches.
- Also, there are some great hiking trails at Richmond and Mina, check those out too.
- Try frisbee golf – there are two courses in town and one at Richmond Lake State Recreation Area.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, apply early and often.
Step three: Unplug
This goes back to step one, treat a staycation like a vacation. Use your phone for pictures, but try not to use it for anything else. If you must keep in touch, set aside some time in the morning and/or evening.
Step four: Come home
Whether you left or not, end your staycation like you would a vacation: Unpack your bags, get a load of laundry in, eat questionable leftovers or order a pizza because you just don’t have it in you to cook.